Inconsistent references to H.281

Dave Lindbergh lindbergh at ITU.CH
Sun Nov 23 18:21:42 EST 1997

Toby/all,

The H.224 codepoint in DataApplicationCapability.application.h224 of
H.245 was put there for use with H.324; you can use H.224/H.281
to do far-end camera control in H.324.  (H.224 itself negotiates
the use of H.281; that's why you don't see H.281 in H.245.)

My feeling (and I think this has been the view of the group
as a whole) is that H.224/H.281 won't work for H.323.  The H.281
control model is timing based: You send a message to start moving
the camera (presumably at some slow, fixed rate), then another
to stop it.  Even with H.320 or H.324, this requires the user to
"lead" the camera to compensate for end-to-end round trip delay.

With H.323, any inconsistency in packet delivery times will make
it impossible for the user to predictably control the camera.  This
could be partially fixed by adding timestamps to the messages, but
only at the expense of buffering for the worst-case packet delivery
time.

I think the RDC portion of T.130 is a much better approach: It is
not timing based, but based on absolute positioning of the camera
("turn left 24 degrees").

Since T.130 is stalled, I suggest we think about extracting the
RDC portion of T.130 (clearly needed for H.323) and approving it
as a separate Recommendation (not necessarily using T.120).  We
could follow much the same approach as with V.CHAT/T.CHAT: A simple
stand-alone protocol (the RDC ASN.1 structures from T.130) which
can be used point-to-point in a H.245 LC, and a multipoint version
that makes use of a T.120 "wrapper" (ala T.CHAT) around the same
simple protocol.

--Dave Lindbergh

Dave Lindbergh                       Email: lindbergh at pictel.com
Manager, Technical Standards Group   Voice: +1 978 623 4351
PictureTel Corporation               Fax:   +1 978 749 2804
100 Minuteman Road - M/S 635         H.320: +1 978 437 0265 (twice)
Andover MA 01810  USA                http://standards.pictel.com
PGP fingerprint:  C8 3E 28 69 53 0A 4B 87  EF E0 11 CD AC 87 4D CD