Fast Start issues

Pete Cordell pete.cordell at BT-SYS.BT.CO.UK
Thu Dec 18 08:45:09 EST 1997

Scott,

Thanks for your lengthy reply...

What I was hoping to indicate was that for certain call scenarios you
want media established before CONNECT, but for other scenarios this is
not possible.

A situation where you have to send CONNECT before the media is
negotiated is when multiple phones are rang and the first one is
answered.  There are probably others.

The point is that some flexibility is required on this point.

I agree with your comments about mandating that fast start should allow
for H.245 to be started at any time.  I didn't contest the wording as it
seemed to me that whatever wording was in the standard, if it suited a
vendor they could quite easily ignore any request to do fast start.
This would total destroy any attempt to deliver some services and is
hence a problem for us.

I'm also interested that you state that you are looking for light-weight
systems that do not use H.245.  Firstly this is in conflict with the
wording at the moment.  Secondly, it is only an illusion of a simpler
implementation, as much of H.245 is being copied into H.225 (work out
how much of H.245 is included into H.225 just by referencing
Capability).

As to how CONNECT works in the switched network, it seems that the
called endpoint sends CONNECT before the bearer path is in place.  The
final switch will connect the bearer when it receives CONNECT.  The
CONNECT is then forwarded.  The point is that the CONNECT is sent before
the bearer is connected through, but the bearer is connect through by
the time CONNECT is received.  This is difficult to emulate in our
environment.  You can't just delay the CONNECT in the gatekeeper until
the media is established because the user is concerned with the time
from 'picking up the handset' to when they can speak and are not
concerned with how this relates to the timing of the CONNECT message.
Some one said the switched network delay in this instance is less than
100ms.

Regards,

Pete
Pete Cordell