Pete Cordell's FastStart issues

Pete Cordell pete.cordell at BT-SYS.BT.CO.UK
Wed Dec 10 11:22:28 EST 1997

Jim,

You've definitely captured the core technical functionality required.  I
was hoping to get you to appreciate the big picture behind the technical
details so that you can understand why they are so important.  It's at
this level we are perhaps not agreeing.  But still, maybe that doesn't
matter so let's get on with looking for a technical solution.

I note your comments below.  Although I don't entirely agree with them
on all counts, one of the wonders of the English language is that
different people can get different meanings from the same piece of text.
 So if we can agree that we understood different things from the text,
we can move on...

Firstly I'm worried about sending multiple call proceedings/alertings to
an endpoint.  Conceivably we could get the case that we receive a call
proceeding after alerting for example.  This is definitely not valid
Q.931.  We could say that any endpoint that accepts fastStart should be
able to cope with this case, but this involves multiple modifications to
the Q.931/H.225 state machine which I feel is undesirable.  User
invitation and media establishment are in many respects orthogonal and
so making media negotiation conform to the invitation sequence is tying
one arm behind your back.  What would be your comments if I suggested
moving the fastCaps stuff to the H323-UU-PDU field?  This would allow us
to send the messages at any time (via FACILITY if necessary) without
affecting the Q.931 sequence and state.  This should be OK as this is
what is being used for supplementary services.  If this approach doesn't
work then we have a major problem, so any issues with it need to be
raised!!!

I'm also thinking about how the gatekeeper will transfer the
capabilities through itself.  It will have to decode the messages (e.g.
setup) so that it can find the relevant information.  It may then have
to change some of the fields before passing the message on.  This will
mean re-encoding the message.  If there is a mis-match in the version of
Capability supported by the endpoint and the gatekeeper then capability
information will get lost in this process.  This means that endpoints
will not be able to achieve end-to-end negotiation of caps, and any new
codecs added by vendors will not be usable in this configuration.  As I
envision faster evolution in the endpoint arena this seems a very real
proposition.  To get around this problem it may be best to include the
capability information as an OCTET STRING.  This allows the gatekeeper
to look at it, but also allows it to insert the information into an
outgoing message without having to have decoded it and re-encoded it
(i.e. it is just a copy operation) and so no information is lost.

I hope this moves us forward and not backwards!!!  I look forward to
your comments,

Pete
Pete Cordell
BT Labs