Remarks on H.450.x and H.225.0

Pete Cordell pete.cordell at BT-SYS.BT.CO.UK
Mon Dec 8 14:53:46 EST 1997

Orit,

Sorry for the delay in this mail.

On your topic 4, I would be worried about adding another call model.  We
already have the direct model, VocalTec's model (I couldn't think of a
better way to describe it!) and the gatekeeper routed model.  Adding a
half gatekeeper routed model would further complicate things.
Efficiency is good, but in general I think that generality is better.
It's rare that you get a optimal general solution and I think that this
is a case in point.  I am also worried about bringing the other call
model back into play because I can't remember why we disallowed it.  I'm
sure it must have been for a good reason, and just because I can't
remember why doesn't mean the problem has gone away!!!

One reason for reducing the number of models is so that modelling the
way new features will act is much easier.

Another issue is that the FACILITY-UUIE method of re-directing calls is
already in use.  Adding the H245Address to the FACILITY-UUIE seems to
imply that the handling of the message should be different if you get
one with an H.245 address in (i.e. if there is an H.245 address in it
you simply connect using H.245 rather than the H.225 SETUP etc).  This
would produce backwards compatibility problems.  Even if it weren't a
backwards compatibility issue I think the simpler case of always using
the H.225 SETUP is a better way of going because the signalling is
simpler and cleaner.

I hope this helps,

Pete
Pete Cordell