Limitation of nonStandardData

Pete Cordell pete.cordell at BT-SYS.BT.CO.UK
Fri Dec 5 08:53:54 EST 1997

The reason for my gymnastics is to give transparency to implementations
that already use nonStandardData and are already out there.  A
gatekeeper that sees previousNonStandard (I've changed the name to
overWritten below in an attempt to increase the clarity) when it goes to
remove its nonStandard part knows that an earlier gatekeeper in the
chain overwrote nonStandardData that wasn't in this form and so can
restore it as it was.  This allows endpoints that are out there and only
understand the data in the form that it presents it in can make use of
it.

>From a code impact point of view I see no difference between saying the
OCTET STRING is

SEQUENCE OF NonStandardParameter, or

SEQUENCE { overWritten NonStandardParameter OPTIONAL, extra SEQUENCE OF
NonStandardParameter }

If you support the OID you have to write code either way.

However, if nobody is using nonStandardData in the H.225 PDUs yet then
we are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.  So the question
is:

IS ANYBODY OUT THERE USING NONSTANDARDDATA AT THE MOMENT???

If not Jim's solution is fine.

Pete
Pete Cordell
BT Labs