[h323plus] h323plus text messaging

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Sun Mar 6 17:37:14 EST 2016

Leonardo,

As Jan answered separately, there is no standard way for sending text
messages.  This has been discussed many times, with the most recent
proposal being this one:
http://www.h323forum.org/specifications/ ("Text Messaging within H.323
Systems")

Sending text via H.323 is simple to do, but nobody could agree on a
standard, because there were always a lot of requirements that went with
it, including presence capabilities.  To be able to fully provide a
solution, one would need to re-invent XMPP, basically.  So, it just
never happened.

Still, the question keeps recurring.  One has to think that maybe, it's
better to have something than nothing.

Paul