[h323plus] SonicWall/Dell wreck of a NAT

Simon Horne s.horne at spranto.com
Fri Nov 15 16:25:43 EST 2013

I assume you are using H.460.18/.19 ?

The fact it is letting 1719 through indicates the firewall might be doing deep packet inspection. If so this might indicate that an ALG might be in play.

I suggest you check when registering the IP address used to register with the gatekeeper. Basically check the RRQ from the NATed endpoint with the RRQ received at the gatekeeper and make sure the IP addresses match. If an ALG is in play then the addresses get changed on the way through from internal to external addresses. If that is the case then simply turn off H.460.18/.19 in the endpoint behind the NAT and let the ALG do what is maybe is supposed to do. (I have low confidence in ALGs) . The other alternative is to try to turn off the ALG and deep packet inspection in the firewall off.

To test as you requested

H323EndPoint::SetUDPPorts(1718,172x);

This will set the first UDP port for RAS to 1719.

Simon