[h323plus] OpenMCU not using video codecs

Victor Zanozin vxz at bby.com.au
Thu Nov 24 01:41:04 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm having a lot of trouble setting up an OpenMCU server on either FreeBSD/Ubuntu (Ubuntu preferred).

On FreeBSD, after all the packages are installed I am seemingly limited to H.261 - The endpoints are capable of H.263/264, however I cannot get OpenMCU to use this codec.

On Ubuntu (my preferred system) OpenMCU preferences report the use of the G711 audio codecs, but do not even use the H.261 video codecs. There is no video output to any of the endpoints.

I think it might have to do with the codec installation on Ubuntu - How can I check if these are installed properly?

When I try to configure the h323plus install, I get the following:

=================== Plugin configuration ======================
prefix                           : /usr/local
exec_prefix                      : ${prefix}
libdir                           : ${exec_prefix}/lib
Audio Codec plugin install dir   : ${libdir}/opal-1.23.0/codecs/audio
Video Codec plugin install prefix: ${libdir}/opal-1.23.0/codecs/video
LID plugin install prefix        : ${libdir}/opal-1.23.0/lid
FAX plugin install prefix        : ${libdir}/opal-1.23.0/fax

                              GSM :  yes (internal)
                          gsm-amr :  yes
                             iLBC :  yes (internal)
                            Speex :  yes (internal, version 1.1.11.1)
                            LPC10 :  yes
                            G.726 :  yes
                        IMA_ADPCM :  yes
                              SBC :  no

                           H.261  :  yes
                           H.263  :  no (ffmpeg version)
                     H.263/H.263+ :  no
                           H.264  :  no
                          THEORA  :  yes
                    MPEG4 Part 2  :  no
                            CELT  :  no

                     SpanDSP FAX  :  no

                            CAPI  :  no
           Quicknet xJACK support :  no
         Voicetronics VPB support :  yes

                         OS Type  :  linux-gnu
                    Machine Type  :  i686

If all settings are OK, type make and make install

Level 5 debug logs show:

  0:00.034                      OpenMCU MCU     Codecs (in preference order):
Table:
   G.711-ALaw-64k <1>
   G.711-uLaw-64k <2>
   UserInput/hookflash <3>
   UserInput/basicString <4>
   UserInput/dtmf <5>
   UserInput/RFC2833 <6>
   UserInput/Navigation <7>
   UserInput/Softkey <8>
   UserInput/PointDevice <9>
   UserInput/Modal <10>
Set:
   0:
     0:
       G.711-ALaw-64k <1>
       G.711-uLaw-64k <2>
     1:
     2:
       UserInput/hookflash <3>
       UserInput/basicString <4>
       UserInput/dtmf <5>
       UserInput/RFC2833 <6>
       UserInput/Navigation <7>
       UserInput/Softkey <8>
       UserInput/PointDevice <9>
      UserInput/Modal <10>

There seem to be no video codecs being found or loaded... I'm running the latest version of everything from the h323plus.org site, OpenMCU 2.2.5-1, h323plus 1.23.0.

I've added what I believe to be the video codec directories in the following locations (yes, it's a mess):

/usr/local/lib/opal-1.23.0/plugins/video
/usr/local/lib/opal-1.23.0/codecs/video
/usr/local/lib/opal-1.23.0/codecs/video/video
/usr/local/lib/opal-1.23.0/temp/plugins/video
/usr/local/lib/opal-1.23.0/video
/usr/lib/ptlib/plugins/video
/usr/lib/ptlib/codecs/video
/usr/lib/ptlib/video
/usr/lib/ptlib-2.4.5/plugins/video

The contents of these are:

root at OpenMCU:/usr/lib/ptlib/codecs/video# ls
common  H.261-vic  H.263-1998  H.263-ffmpeg  H.264

I'm also seemingly missing the H.264 codec:

configure: h264 support disabled due to disabled dependency HAVE_H264_DECODER
checking enable H.264 support... no

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Victor