[h323plus] lost rtp packets and using jitter for video session

Simon Horne s.horne at packetizer.com
Tue Feb 8 08:29:07 EST 2011

Igor

The main issue is not the packets are being lost but the rendering being too
slow and blocking  the receive thread which would drop packets.

The quick solution was to throw the actual rending within your
VideoOutputDevice onto another thread and use a std::queue (with mutex) to
load the frames coming out of the codec and grab the frames to send to the
renderer. This will then not block the receiving thread.

You can be cleaver and build a 1-3 frame buffer in your outputdevice to
simulate a jitter buffer.

See

MyVideoOutputDevice::SetFrameData(..,const void * mark);

The mark is a H323_RTPInformation pointer which contains a pointer to the
last raw received RTP packet of the completed frame.  You can get timestamp
information from this and pace the output to the render, so if a frame is
dropped then you can conceal it.

Simon