[h323plus] video plugins and ffmpeg

Ben Dudley ben.dudley at urrelay.com
Thu Dec 8 10:06:08 EST 2011

Hello all,

I'm trying to compile OpenAM and use the plugins from the plugins dir of
h323plus.  I've downloaded the latest ptlib, h323plus core and
applications from http://www.h323plus.org/source/.

I started with a virgin install of Ubuntu 10.04 and installed dependent
libs as necessary.  Which version of ffmpeg works best with the plugins?
apt-get retrieves ffmpeg 0.5.1.  everything compiles fine and when I point
PWLIBPLUGINDIR to OPENH323DIR/plugins openam lists all the codecs I expect
to see - including H263.  However, when I connect my video endpoint to it
the video is freezes on what appears to be the first frame.

I've tried later versions of ffmpeg from ffmpeg.org and libav from
libav.org (recompiling h323plus, the plugins and openam after each ffmpeg
change) but then openam doesn't list H263 in its list of codecs - only
H261.  The configure script indicates libavcodec and h263 is available for
every combination I've tried.

So, what's the secret to building openam with the H263 codecs?  What
version of ffmpeg must I use?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

PS: my apologies for first accidentally sending this to open323gk-users.

Thanks!
-Ben