[h323plus] ask for help about H264 PLUGIN in H323Plus

Simon Horne s.horne at packetizer.com
Wed Feb 24 04:49:14 EST 2010

Guys

There has been 2 major stumbling block to getting X264 "Real Time" friendly
and usable with h323plus.
1. NAL Size (NAL must not exceed the UDP MTU size (about 1200bits)) Fixed as
of X264 v80.
2. X264 buffering caused up to 5 sec delay encoding images. Fixed as of X264
v84.

With these changes in X264. I have just checked in the CVS an updated H.264
plugin. You can build it on linux, windows (mingw and vs2008, X264 must be
done with mingw)

Check out the h323plus CVS Head and the plugins should now come with it.

Some comments.
You must compile against X264 80+ as the single NAL support required is only
available from version 80 onwards. Use X264 with care 80 works but there is
a 1.5s latency issue, this has been fixed in the latest code 85 but may
cause problems with some H.323 hardware. The X264 code is still very
*experimental*

The plugin contains definitions up to 1080p however some hardware will try
and send less than expected frame sizes as they deem anything over about
4CIF as a custom size. The custom size code handling is still a work in
progress.

Simon