[h323plus] Difference b/w FACILITY and EMPTY messages

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Thu Apr 30 21:25:51 EDT 2009

Prashant,

H.323v5 and later provides some insight (section 8.2.1):

When tunnelling is active, one or more H.245 messages can be encapsulated in
any H.225.0 call signalling message. If tunnelling is being utilized and
there is no need for transmission of a H.225.0 call signalling message at
the time an H.245 message must be transmitted, then a Facility message shall
be sent with the reason set to transportedInformation. (Note that H.323
systems prior to version 4 used a Facility message with h323 message body
set to empty.)

It might be used for either H.245 tunneling or for supplementary services
(H.450-series) messages, or for non-call-related messages.  You will see
both empty and Facility employed, but newer devices should switch to using
Facility for H.245 tunneling.

Paul