[h323plus] Plug in for H.264 codec

Matthew Allen matthew.allen at nrc.gc.ca
Wed Apr 2 09:45:03 EDT 2008

I'm in a similar position.  I noticed while configuring the latest
H323plus that it summarizes at the end which plugins are going to be
made available, where H.263 requires ffmpeg's libavcodec, and H.264
requires libavcodec and libx264.  I compiled x264 and it finds it just
fine, but it can never seem to find libavcodec (even after make install,
when it's in /usr/local/lib, which is searched by default).  I tried
recreating the test program that the configure script writes, linking in
libavcodec and calling avcodec_init(), and that works fine, so I'm not
sure what it's failling on.

Do you mean that the Opal H.264 codec can be used with H323plus if it's
only compiled for H.323 and not SIP?  Or do you mean we'll have to use
Opal instead?  I personally don't need SIP at all.

Can I use the plugins from the plugins tarball (H.261-vic and
H.263-ffmpeg) in this way along with this Opal H.264 plugin?  I need to
compile each codec myself, as well, as I'm compiling this on OSX and
aiming for a universal binary so I can deploy on servers that don't have
build tools.

I've searched extensively for any help or documentation on getting the
H.26x (especially H.264) plugins to work with  H323plus (or OPAL for
that matter), but I'm still a bit lost. The XMeeting project is a bit of
a good reference as he uses these plugins (in Mac application, too), but
I'm  just not sure what H323plus requires and where it requires it in
order for these plugins to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for being longwinded.

Mat