[h323plus] [Openh323-devel] help in creating WhiteBoard application using Opal

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Tue Oct 30 02:21:09 EDT 2007

Simon, Vishak,

If there was interest to address the NAT/FW issues in T.120, it would
certainly be possible.  We would need to change the T.123 layer (transport
specification) to enable, for example, transport via UDP, DTLS, or similar.
The other alternative would be to employ TCP relay servers in public
networks, which I suspect would not be preferred.  The problem is that
applications like app sharing can consume a lot of bandwidth, all of which
would be flowing through that box.

In any case, the biggest problem T.120 faced, in my opinion, was not
firewalls, but simply the business model.  T.120 requires installation of
software on the PC to provide functionality that one can do with a web
browser.  For whatever reason, people preferred not to have to install
software.  However, that mentality is now changing since folks are
installing software for voice, anyway.

The other hurdle was that Microsoft released NetMeeting, which used T.120.
It was extremely hard for any company to justify creating a product in that
market space when Microsoft was giving it away for free.  Now that MS is no
longer giving it away for free with Vista, perhaps it opens the door of
opportunity again?