[h323plus] More background on changing BOOL to bool

Craig Southeren craigs at postincrement.com
Sun Nov 18 23:59:53 EST 2007

Simon Horne wrote:
> Craig
>
> I certainly have no issue with making changes to make ptlib more C++
> standard especially the PString (Another one to consider is Plist to
> std::list)

I only mentioned PArray and PDictionary, but the following "etc" was
supposed to include PList, and all of the other PCollection and
PContainer ancestors :)

 > and would be happy to assist as long as where-ever possible the
 > changes are transparent to the end developer which most of these
 > changes appear to be.

This is also our concern. Unfortunately, C++ does not help us much in
the regard, and we don't see any other options. I'd really love to see
some alternatives, if there are any.

> This is my only reservation with BOOL to bool change and ensuring end
> projects backwards compatibility especially without the C++ virtual issues
> (which IMHO is a showstopper). If we can overcome that then definitely I'm
> on board.

If you have an ideas on how to do this, then we're all ears. This is the
best we've managed to come up with so far - the reason we're opening up
the discussion is the hope that somebody else has a better/easier way :)

If not, then the project as a whole needs to decide whether to bite the
bullet or give up. We can't do any of the other C++ standard stuff until
this is resolved, so it's pretty important.

    Craig

  Craig Southeren          Post Increment – VoIP Consulting and Software
  craigs at postincrement.com.au                   www.postincrement.com.au

  Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
  Fax:    +61 243656905      MSN: craig_southeren at hotmail.com
  Mobile: +61 417231046      Jabber: craigs at jabber.org

  "Science is the poetry of reality." Richard Dawkins