[h323plus] [Openh323gk-developer] [Opalvoip-devel] [Openh323-devel] opalvoip vs h323plus

Jan Willamowius jan at willamowius.de
Sat Nov 3 16:35:33 EDT 2007

Craig Southeren asked:
> Here is a specific question for those people using OpenH323 (and now
> H323Plus) instead of OPAL.
>
> What would have to changed in, or added to, OPAL in order for you to
> move from OpenH323 (other than all of H.45x and H.46x stuff we are
> already committed to migrating) ?

The main point for GnuGk is that there is very little to be gained from
a move to OPAL. Its not that I dislike anything thats in there, we just
don't need 90% of the framework OPAL provides.

But because we would have to change some many places in the code where
the interface is a little different, we would introduce a lot of bugs
when doing the switch - not even considering the amount of work we'd
have to put in. This simply doesn't make sense for a zero gain.

It totally makes sense to use OPAL for any endpoint application. They
have a lot to benefit, but GnuGk is using mainly the packet decoding
stuff and that has been extremely stable since a number of years. Every
once in a blue moon we hit a PWLib bug or Simon implements a new
H.great-and-new standard, but basically the OpenH323 code base is just
too stable and proven to drop for GnuGk's needs. ;-)

Cheers,
Jan

--
Jan Willamowius, jan at willamowius.de, http://www.gnugk.org/