[h323plus] [Openh323-devel] [Openh323gk-developer] [Opalvoip-devel] opalvoip vs h323plus

Robert Jongbloed robert.jongbloed at bigpond.com
Sun Nov 4 01:43:42 EDT 2007

And that is fine, you can stay with OpenH323.

There are two classes of legacy user: ones such as GnuGk for which OpenH323
v1.18 does exactly what they want and they need no more features. Except
maybe the odd bug fix, the code is as it is.

The second class are people with ongoing application development are in
continuous need of the "next new thing" in the feature list. These are the
people we were hoping to make OPAL sufficiently attractive, due to its new
whiz bang wonder gizmos, to convert to OPAL from OpenH323.

Oh, and suppose there is a third class of those who have not yet started
their project. They should have no reason not to use OPAL. We don't want
them to have a reason. And a major reason for moving OPAL to a its own
project was not to "fork" the code, but to reduce the confusion between
OpenH323 and OPAL.

I will reiterate what I and Craig have been saying all along: we are NOT
abandoning OpenH323 completely. We just have not been doing any NEW work
there as it is a duplication of effort. It is more akin to Ethereal and
Wireshark, Ethereal is what it is at that point of time and all new stuff is
in Wireshark. It is not, and never was, intended that this be a true "fork"
where A goes it's way and B goes theirs. This is the whole reason why I am
so disappointed with the ensuing result.

Remember, this whole thread started with someone asking the question "Should
I use OpenH323 or OPAL, which is better?", a fair question but one that I
did not want anyone to have to ask.

Robert Jongbloed
OPAL/OpenH323 Architect and Co-founder.