[h323plus] [Opalvoip-devel] [Openh323-devel] opalvoip vsh323plus

Simon Horne s.horne at packetizer.com
Sat Nov 3 13:59:48 EDT 2007

Peter

I certainly don't know what the fuss is about. Opal has already really good
H.323 support but you cannot *make* people or *conjole* people to migrate.
H.323 is a very low priority these days with a lot of projects and many
projects may just want to continue their existing code base then h323plus
will do that (aka Asterisk (chan_h323),GnuGk etc), others like you are
indicating might want to migrate to opal to include SIP or they might just
go off and get any one of the dozens and dozens of quality SIP stacks out
there. There are others who are using their own SIP stack who just want to
add a H.323 stack which might be opal or h323plus or even ooh323.

h323plus exists because there is a need of it, all the new work in h323plus
is MPL 1.1 so you don't have to worry about licensing issues, want MPL ok,
what GPL ok too, just go cherry pick what you want and leave whatever you
don't, I'm not fussy. If you want a bit of support for it, then I'm willing
to assist with direct enquiries. If you don't think any of it's relevent
then forget it even exists and just use whatever you are using.

But saying I should do this and that.... Sure everyone wants SIP so go use
openser or the dozens of other quality SIP stacks, if you also need H.323
support use Asterisk or FreeSwitch or YATE or this little great project
called Opal. Opal is a tiny small fish in a huge ocean. How is me moving to
Opal going to change anything except cut off H.323 support for some of the
bigger open source projects which relied on OpenH323 for there support, sure
they can move to opal but honestly they'll probably just let (like they have
been doing) their H.323 support stagnate. Just as with Asterisk and GnuGK
I'm happy in assisting updating existing codebases from openh323 to
h323plus. Easy, we went though the process last week with both projects.

H323plus is meant to be project neutral (anyone can use it), it's a drop in
replacement for openh323 and I still intend (where possible) to be highly
compatible with opal so if your not ready to migrate then h323plus or cannot
see a business case to do it, then it is there until you decide to (if ever)
to migrate. You can pull out any of the new code and drop it straight into
opal, I certainly will not be standing in anybodies way.

With respect to any other projects that may occur they will be the same
format so they too will be a neutral stand alone project library which
probably be more suited to the asterisk channel type model rather than the
more integrated Opal model.

I really want to bring this whole discussion to an end. For the majority of
people it has little relevence. For the rest, it is as it is. let's move on.

Simon