[h323plus] Question about new ASN compiler

Craig Southeren craigs at postincrement.com
Sun Nov 4 04:23:59 EST 2007

To all,

Some time ago, an independent group of developers created a new ASN
compiler based on the original code provided released by OPAL/OpenH323.
This code created by this compiler has been used in several commercial
projects that I have been involved in, and it definitely works.

The big advantage is that the code created by this compiler is MUCH
smaller at run-time that the original OPAL/H.323 code. As in ten times
smaller.

The big disadvantage is that the code created by this compiler is very
different from the code created by the old compiler. The code uses C++
templates heavily, and there is no way to make it look similar.

Robert and I have not considered introducing this new compiler to date
because of the problems it would cause.

But, we would like to hear the opinions of other people about this code.
If the general consensus is that people would like to see it used, then
we will put in the work to make it happen. If the general consensus is
that people do think it is worth the hassle, then we will stop worrying
about it :)

I've copied this message to both the h323plus and GnuGk lists as this
decision has obvious ramifications for both projects

    Craig

  Craig Southeren          Post Increment – VoIP Consulting and Software
  craigs at postincrement.com.au                   www.postincrement.com.au

  Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
  Fax:    +61 243656905      MSN: craig_southeren at hotmail.com
  Mobile: +61 417231046      Jabber: craigs at jabber.org

  "Science is the poetry of reality." Richard Dawkins