[h323implementers] NSA H.323 surveilance

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Fri Mar 14 08:51:02 EDT 2014

Jan,

There is no doubt that we need to improve security.  Most of the H.323
and SIP networks follow a transitive trust model.  That wouldn't be so
bad, except there appear to be multiple weaknesses with TLS
certificates.

Are they able to compromise a certificate without creating a bogus
certificate?  Or are they using bogus certificates?  (The latter is
actually trivial for them to do.  Most people would never recognize that
a bogus certificate was employed.)

Both H.323, SIP, and the forthcoming H.325, we need to take additional
steps to fight against MiTM attacks.  It's likely impossible to remove
the transitive trust element, though.

Paul