[aescrypt] aescryot shredder app

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Mon Aug 20 18:53:40 EDT 2018

Arturo,

Since there are already shedding applications on the market, I did not
want to add that functionality to AES Crypt. Further, shredding can give
a false sense of security.  On solid state drives, including those
common in modern laptops, as well as USB drives, etc. "shredding" is
virtually impossible, in fact.  The reason is that each time you write
to storage, it writes to a different location.  This is called "wear
leveling".  So, trying to "shred" does absolutely nothing more than wear
out the disk faster.

Paul