[aescrypt] PATCH: "AES Check" context menu command in shell extension DLL.

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Sat Sep 7 00:06:23 EDT 2013

Kaz,

> * Users can check whether they know the correct password for a file
> without bulk decrypting it.

I can appreciate why one might want to do that, but I believe you said you created this as a separate context menu?  Wouldn't it be better to just have a checkbox on the dialog window?  My context menu is already huge. :)

> * Users can optionally verify the built-in integrity of the file without
> writing out the plaintext.

Is that different than the first bullet?

> * Progress bar dialog is now hidden when an exception takes place,
> solving the problem of continued
>    progress bar animation underneath an error or informational dialog.

Is this a problem with the current behavior?  I've never had this issue, but perhaps I never did anything to cause it to break :)

> * Internally, the "encrypt/decrypt" bool which is passed around has been
> replaced by a four-valued
>    action enum, including in the DLL API.

I didn't look through all of the diffs, but... what are the 4 values now?

> * The aescrypt command line executable which invokes the DLL supports a
> few extra options to test
>    the new actions.

Note the executable was written just to support double-clicking on a .aes file.  That's a bit unfortunate and if there is a better solution, I'd like to hear it.

BTW, I did mention I will not have time to work on this code for a while.  At least for the next few weeks, I have no time.  But, I would like to more carefully look at what you changed.  Can you send me privately the set of files changed so I can look at the changes in context?

If you'll be making more changes, just wait.  No point sending stuff to me until I'm ready to look at it.  I have a laundry list of things to do for AES Crypt, including some work on the Linux code, and I'd rather do it all when I have a few days to focus on it.

Paul