[aescrypt] Suggestions - permissions, timestamps, and source file naming

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Sun Jan 23 11:50:28 EST 2011

Andy,

Well, if there is precedent for this sort of behavior, then I guess there
might be reason to do as you suggest.

We could actually implement this by adding extensions to the header of the
AES Crypt file:
http://www.aescrypt.com/aes_file_format.html

We could have a "FILE-TIMESTAMP" (e.g., "1295800770") and "FILE-MODE" (e.g.,
0644).  Introducing this metadata in the header would preserve compatibility
with the current v2 file format, but it's important to note that these
headers are not encrypted.  If we need to secure this metadata, we would
need to introduce a new version of the file format.

If you wish, I can add new extension values here:
http://www.aescrypt.com/standard_extensions.html

Would we also want to preserve the user and group on Linux? Would we want to
do that using numerical values or names?  A concern I have with that is that
it reveals user identifiable information.

In any case, I'm open to suggestions -- especially if somebody else is
writing the code ;-)