[h325-design] H323, SIP, why not jingle?

OKUBO Sakae okubo at mxz.mesh.ne.jp
Wed Apr 22 09:57:42 EDT 2009

Dear Javier,

This is a very belated response to your posting. Thank you very much
for your suggestion. After having read a couple of articles on XMPP
and Jingle as well as related standard documents, I think the H.325
design can benefit from the Jingle design since XML has been chosen
to represent the H.325 protocol.

My particular interest is in how to define and represent end-to-end
control and indication signals in H.325 in a systematic way. Here the
"control" signal is something that its recipient needs specified
action(s), e.g. far end camera control, whereas the "indication"
signal is something that its recipient does not need any action for
the system operation, but is useful to the end user, e.g. microphone
being muted.

I have found XEP-0167 defines four such signals (Active, Hold, Mute,
Ringing) and shows their representation. They are useful but I think
we should consider a wider set of control and indication signals to
make the H.325 system to cover various multimedia communication use
cases. I would like to survey further as a continuation of the effort
described in the contribution you referred to.

Best regards,

OKUBO Sakae
e-mail: okubo at aoni.waseda.jp, mobile phone: +81 90 2477 8603
Visiting Professor
Global Information and Telecommunication Institute (GITI)
Waseda University
Waseda University, YRP Ichibankan 312        Tel: +81 46 847 5406
3-4 Hikarinooka, Yokosuka-shi, Kanagawa-ken  Fax: +81 46 847 5413
239-0847 Japan
                       H.323 videoconferencing: arranged by advice